Thursday, May 7, 2009

Why I'm Aero/Astro

This past weekend I spent twelve hours cutting foam for our team's wing in the basement of the aerospace lab. While this probably sounds terrible, it reminded me why I'm in this major.

1. I do really, really like this stuff.
I just broke two English rules is one sentence: never say "stuff" and never say really, and definitely not twice. But at the end of the day, seeing the finished wing, knowing that I understand one piece of machinery extremely intimately is still a satisfying feeling. I get that feeling after finishing a difficult piece of code and it somehow works after all the hours of coding and debugging. I was worried for a long time that I should be in comp sci instead or somewhere else entirely.

2. The people are incredible.
Twelve hours is always a huge amount of time to spend with anyone. But I see these long lab sessions as an opportunity to *really* get to know someone. In twelve hours, you may walk in strangers and walk out good friends. I have been very fortunate in my groups and have found all the people I have interacted with to be fantastic people. If nothing else, this major gives you plenty of opportunity to get to know people.

No comments:

Post a Comment